Aussie Classic Fish and Chips Recipe
- 4 Australian Tiger skinless and boneless flatheads
- 4 large floury potatoes, peeled and cut into strips to resemble chips
- 1 cup plain flour, plus extra to dust
- ½ cup beer (lager), chilled
- sunflower oil
- 4 lemons, cut into wedges
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Begin by placing flour in a large bowl. Add salt and pepper. Make a well in the centre of the bowl, and gently pour beer in the middle, whisking as you go. Continue this process until all the beer is poured in, and a smooth and consistent batter is formed. Place batter aside in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oil in large, heavy based saucepan or deep fryer to 180°C. Fry potato strips in small batches in the oil until tender. Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Take each piece of fish individually, and batter with flour. Place in the same hot oil used for the fish, and fry until golden. Drain on paper towels.
- Place the potato chips back in the oil, and fry again for an additional minute or two, until golden and crispy.
- Serve with wedges of lemon, and tartare and tomato sauce. This fish and chips recipe is best enjoyed immediately.
Print this recipe