Sri Lankan Fish & Prawn Curry
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 onion (thinly sliced)
- 10 fresh curry leaves
- 2 long green chillies (sliced)
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 400 ml can coconut cream
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 500 g snapper fillets (with boneless, skin, halved)
- 250 g peeled green prawns (with tails left on)
- 2 wedged tomatoes
- 70 g baby spinach
- basmati rice (Steamed)
- Heat 1tbs oil in a large pan on medium heat. Add onion, curry leaves and half the chilli.
- Stir for about 5 minutes - until the onion just softens. Add fennel seeds, mustard seeds, turmeric, coriander and cinnamon. Cook, stirring for 1 minute.
- Add sugar, coconut cream and stock. Bring to a simmer and add fish. Cover the pan and cook until fish is almost done.
- Add tomato and prawns and cook uncovered until seafood is cooked through before adding in spinach.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a medium sized pan and add extra curry sprigs until crisp. Drain on paper towel.
- Garnish with remaining chilli and curry leaves. Serve with rice.
Print this recipe